Jobs in Castlebar
Some facts about working in Castlebar County Mayo.
- Castlebar is the county town of Mayo. It is the biggest population centre in the county with an urban population of 11,891 according to the 2022 Census.
- It has a modern, vibrant, well-developed centre and is the second largest retail centre in Connacht after Galway City.
- The town boasts many national and multi-national shopping outlets, so it is a major shopping destination in the west of Ireland. It is the seventh largest retail centre in Ireland.
- There is a thriving arts and entertainment scene. One of the country’s largest entertainment venues outside of Dublin, The Royal Theatre, is located close to the town centre and hosts many world class stage musicals and acts.
- The town is also home to the Linenhall Arts Centre, which displays visual art and hosts drama and music performances.
- The National Museum of Country Life is located in Turlough, just outside Castlebar. It is the only branch of the National Museum situated outside Dublin.
- McHale Park, the GAA stadium, recently underwent a major redevelopment and now has a capacity for 28,000 spectators.
- A new scenic walking and jogging trail looping the local lake was recently developed and has become a major leisure attraction in the town.
- There is an 18-hole golf course, swimming pool and a host of other sports clubs in the town.
- The Mayo County Library and Mayo General Hospital are both situated in Castlebar.
- The town has an eclectic range of restaurants, bars, and cafes. Traditional Irish, Indian, Chinese, Italian, Thai, Mediterranean, fast food, pizza, and boutique cafes are all available.
- The main route servicing the town is the N5, which is being improved and upgraded on an ongoing basis, making the journey time to Dublin and other urban centres shorter.
- The town is linked by railway to Dublin, Ballina, and Westport.
- There are two international airports nearby at Ireland West Airport Knock and Shannon.